For my summer reading assignment, I chose the Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's centered around a nine year-old girl named Liesel Meminger. The book is set in Nazi Germany. During this time period, any books that, in any way, promoted going against rule and social acceptance were banned. Liesel is a curious young girl who was fascinated by a book she found during her younger brother's funeral. Said brother died during the train ride to Liesel's new home, where she is going to be given new parents. She learns to read and write from her new parents and met another kid name Rudy, who has a crush on her.
I can predict that her fascination with books will eventually get her into trouble. Both within her town and her government. There was a movie about this book that came out last year. I haven't seen it, but have heard that it did a good job of keeping the original plot and story. One peculiar thing about this book, is that it's narrated by Death himself. That could be a foreshadowing of the characters perishing or just something to keep in the back of your head as a reader. Either way it is very strange.
I hadn't heard of this book until looking on the list, but it seemed somewhat interesting. At first I got it confused with the book Thief Lord. After reading the summaries and reviews for the book, I realized my, mistake. The book is very interesting, due to who is narrating, the circumstances of history, and how it all plays into what Liesel is trying to do. And that is simply read a few books.
No comments:
Post a Comment