Friday, November 20, 2015

Blog on Voice Text #3


Techniques of Narrative
Mark Bezos’ TED Talk employed excellent techniques of a narrative. Mark successfully transitions his story of having to merely save a pair of shoes, to delivering a very intriguing and thoughtful reflection on how the smallest acts of generosity can make great differences. Bezos does a great job pacing the story as you hear his voice pick up around 1:07 when Mark depicts his assignment during his first fire, well, I was next. The captain waved me over. He said, "Bezos, I need you to go into the house. I need you to go upstairs, past the fire, and I need you to get this woman a pair of shoes." Bezos also does good depicting the action of the scene through descriptive imagery. He sends the reader to the scene of his first fire as a volunteer and it’s almost as if we’re there battling the blaze with him.


Employ Humor
In the talk, Bezos shows us his funny side at multiple times.
He calls his partner and “nemesis” Lex Luthor for obvious and humorous reasons.

He exaggerates the disparity of being relegated to saving a mere pair of shoes.

2 comments:

  1. i can see where his voice picked up and it is noticeable. i think the humor in his speech made it that much better and showed off more of his voice. do you think he wrote in the jokes and intentionally added them or he came up with them on the spot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your analysis of the how such a simple task how he elaborated so much on a little task. I also liked how you added the different examples of his humor within you post allowing us to see his voice. Do you feel that he could have added a bit more humor into his speech or would it be too much?

    ReplyDelete